Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How expensive is happiness?

I get a kick out of now former White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, but some of the comments he made upon his departure last night are just sad.

"I want more money. I don't work here for years. No, I want more money. Years -- what, I'm going to die poor with the White Sox? Hell, no." Guillen continued, "Life is about money. People don't believe that. People are happy after they make money."

This coming from a man already making around 2 million per year to manage ballgames.  It begs the question, if you can't buy happiness on a 2 million dollar salary, just how expensive is it?

Friends, I'd submit to you that there will come a day when Ozzie won't care a lick about what he has in his bank account, but rather would trade it all for just a little more time with family and friends.   Don't believe the lies the world tells you. There's nothing wrong with money, but life really is about so much more.

Your relationships are what matter.  Your relationship to God, your spouse, your kids, your parents, your other family and friends.   I don't mean this to say that I don't believe Guillen values these things.  Guillen is an emotional guy and speaks without any filter whatsoever.  I think his comments just show how easy it is to get caught up in what we do and the rat race for material "success" that we lose focus on what our priorities should be.

Stuff is nice, but the greatest thing you can leave behind is a legacy of character.  What kind of legacy are you building?

No comments:

Post a Comment