Wednesday, January 19, 2011

CAMO Conference report/Facebook ministry

This past Saturday I had the great pleasure to attend the Ironman Outdoors CAMO Conference on men's ministry. It was a fantastic, spirit filled event. The keynote speaker on Friday evening was Dr. Bill Jones, president of Columbia International University. He preached a wonderful expositional message on practical evangelism from Colossians 4:2-6. Dr. Jones made plain that if you want to be an effective witness for Christ you have to 1)Pray Something; 2) Do Something; and 3) Say Something.

On Saturday, my dear friend and mentor US Navy Captain Mike Langston spoke and I was so honored to be able to introduce him. Captain Langston is a true leader of men and man of God. He made it plain that men want to be led and that we have an obligation to do so if we want to impact people's lives with the Gospel of Christ.

Most fun for me was that I was invited to lead a breakout session on Saturday morning about how to use Facebook as a ministry tool. I don't believe that God has allowed the great technological advancements of the internet and social media simply so teens can post embarrassing photos and celebrities can build big fan followings. Communications advancements have always lead to ministry opportunities. The unique thing about social networking as a ministry tool is that you don't need expensive equipment or lots of infrastructure to start a ministry. All you need is a computer, an internet connection, and a desire to impact your sphere of influence for Christ. I outlined ten keys to unlocking your Facebook profile as a ministry tool. It was a good session and it's been very rewarding to see some of the men there already implementing some of the strategies I talked about. Hopefully the Lord will bless me with other opportunities to share what He has taught me on this subject.

Thanks to Ironman Outdoors for allowing me to participate. If you want to know more about Ironman Outdoors and their ministry visit them at www.ironmanoutdoors.org or find them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ironmanoutdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment