Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Mighty Blue Hose of Presbyterian College

Folks who know me well know that I'm a proud graduate of tiny Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC. PC is in the middle of a transition to NCAA Division 1 from Division 2. To the best of my knowledge, we are the smallest Division 1 institution in the country.

The transition has been hard on our schools' athletes and coaches. We've endured a winless football season and a basketball travel schedule that was so ridiculous that ESPN actually did an article about it.

This season has been a bit of a turning point for our basketball program under the able leadership of longtime coach Greg Nibbert. In December, the Blue Hose actually defeated Auburn and Wake Forest on the road in back to back games. It was our school's first victories over a team from traditional power conferences in ANYTHING.

As if that wasn't great enough, last night's Florida State victory over #1 ranked and previously undefeated Duke puts PC into some rarified air...You see PC beat Auburn. Auburn had defeated Florida State. And now Florida State has beaten Duke. Obviously, PC should now be considered the top college basketball team in America.

I should point out that I make the last statement with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek but that doesn't change the fact that I'm proud of our basketball team and their ongoing story of being a basketball David willing to meet Goliath on any court in the country. Go Hose!

No comments:

Post a Comment